University requires discipline, hard work, good attendance and independent study. You are in control of what you achieve
Why Attend Lectures & Tutorials?
Attending lectures and tutorials has a proven impact on grades.
- Ask questions and get clarifications from your tutors and other students.
- You risk missing important context if you try to rely only on revision notes from Blackboard or other students
- Exams and coursework are easier if your attendance is good. The things the lecturer emphasises in class are often what’s most important for assignments.
For more information see Attendance and Absence.
Lectures, tutorials and homework provide the basics, but you’re also expected to study independently, e.g.:
- Do the background reading suggested by your tutors
- Follow news related to your chosen field
- Follow the job market in your sector
This extra context will better prepare you for coursework, exams and eventually job interviews. Knowledge of your subject's role in society can bring it to life and be very motivating.
Improve your study skills
The Student Development and Study Skills Service can help you improve your academic confidence and performance. They provide advice, learning materials and tutorials.