Interruption of Studies

Students can request to interrupt studies in year or out of year.

Please be aware the final date for submission of Interruption of Study Claims for Nursing, Learna and Postgraduate Courses (completing September 2021) is 27th August 2021. Forms will need to be completed and submitted by this date.

Before re-enrolment

Out of year requests can only be made at the end of an academic year and prior to the date you are expected to re-enrol for the new academic year. For USW students studying at the University requests must be made using the Request to Interrupt Studies Form . Forms can be requested in Advice Zone Online. Students at partner institutions or studying University of South Wales courses through distance delivery should email or telephone their course contact.

After enrolment

If circumstances are making it difficult for you to continue with your course, you can make a request to interrupt your studies. If accepted, your request will allow you to take time out and resume your studies at a later date, usually at the start of the next academic year.

Requests must be made using the Request to Interrupt Studies Form. You can request one in Advice Zone Online. You will receive guidance notes with the form. Please read these carefully and make sure you complete all of the sections of the form that are relevant to you.

You will need to provide evidence of the circumstances that are impacting your studies and your Course Leader must sign the form to confirm that your course will be available next academic year. Your Course Leader will make a decision on whether you should retain marks for your modules completed in your current year of studies. Students studying on a Tier 4 VISA must also obtain the signature of a USW International and Immigration Adviser (IISA) to confirm that immigration advice has been sought and given.

Advice Zone Online has several Frequently Asked Questions on Interrupting Studies, and you can ask a new question if you need to. If you would prefer to speak to someone in person contact your campus Advice Zone.

Notification of the outcome of your request

Requests to Interrupt Studies are considered under the University’s Extenuating Circumstances Regulations. The Regulations are available here.

You will receive notification of the outcome of your request and advice on what to do next via Advice Zone Online. This will normally be within 5 working days of the decision being made by the Extenuating Circumstances panel.

Request for Review

A Request for Review can be made if you feel that there was a procedural error with your claim or if you have new evidence to support your request that was not known or available at the time of your original request.

Requests for Review must be submitted no later than 10 working days from receiving notification of the outcome of your request to interrupt studies. The Request to Review Form is available here.

Any questions?

AZO Advice Zone Online