Recycling and Waste

Halls of Residence

For students living in halls of residence, the University provides recycling and residual waste bags, which should be placed in the appropriate recycling stations located in the kitchens. Waste compounds are available across halls and are colour coded in line with the bins within the kitchens.

Private Accommodation

It’s your responsibility to ensure rubbish is disposed of correctly. Not doing so can annoy neighbours, attract vermin and could incur a fine from your local council.

  • Be aware of your collection day and note any changes over bank holidays. In many areas, household waste (black bags/wheelie bins) is collected every fortnight.
  • Put your rubbish out the night before collection/early in the morning.
  • Any rubbish placed outside wheelie bins will not be collected. Bring the bin back in after it has been emptied.
  • Use the correct bags/bin to recycle as much as possible.

Further information on your individual collection dates can be obtained from your local council’s website.

Rhondda Cynon Taf:

Cardiff Council:

Newport City Council:

Shred or destroy paper waste which contains any personal information such as your name and address and bank statements.

Large item collections

Your local council can collect large household items free of charge by prior arrangement.


You can recycle unwanted spectacles via Vision Aid Overseas, a UK charity dedicated to helping people in the developing world with poor eye sight.